5 Things to Do to Keep a Healthy Smile During the COVID-19 Lockdown
April 15, 2020
We all know that washing our hands and practising safe social distancing are important steps in fighting COVID-19.
Did you know that good oral hygiene can also help fight diseases, including viruses?
Our mouth is our first line of defence against infectious bacteria, including viruses such as COVID-19.Brushing our teeth removes harmful bacteria and prevents them from invading our body. On the other hand, poor oral hygiene is linked to numerous health conditions, including heart disease and diabetes.
A good oral care routine is a big step toward good overall health. Now is the perfect time to improve your oral care routine and make new habits for a healthier smile.
1. Wash your hands before and after brushing and flossing to protect yourself and stop spreading your germs to others.
2. Brush your teeth and tongue twice a day using a fluoride toothpaste.
3. Rinse your toothbrush thoroughly after use with warm water and allow it to air dry. Keep all toothbrushes in your household separate to prevent the spread of germs. Remember to change your toothbrush every 3 months or after you have been poorly, to ensure it continues to be effective and doesn’t harbour bacteria.
4. Clean in between your teeth once a day using floss or interdental brushes.
5. Maintain a healthy diet. Sugary and sticky foods can cause tooth decay, so opting for healthier options such as nuts, cheese and raw vegetables will not only keep your teeth happy and healthy but your body too!
Here are some videos which will help you to master your toothbrushing and interdental cleaning!
How to brush your teeth with an electric toothbrush
How to floss your teeth
How to use interdental brushes
This Blog has been written by our associate dentist Anastasios Plessas.